Verona

Verona

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Traveling Abroad

Traveling outside of your comfort zone can be a blessing or a curse.  It all depends on how you prepare for travel.  First, let me provide you with savvy tips for travel in Europe.

Dress:
Europeans dress well.  Enough said!  In some countries teenagers still look to American culture for trends but no one knows about style more than French, Italian and Spanish people.  Many Americans find the French haughty but let's be realistic, if a French woman has one dollar to her name, she will find a way to make her outfit work and look fabulous. 
The European lifestyle is very different than what we are accustomed to in North America.  Most people live in apartments, take public transportation, shop daily for food, and own beautiful clothes.  But the difference between Euros and us is that they have fewer clothes but better quality.  A French woman may have one winter coat but it will be a gorgeous coat accessorized with just the right purse and shoes.

Clothing Musts:
When traveling in Europe, dress like a European.  A simple pair of trendy jeans, a great pair of walking shoes, and a couple of nice blouses or tees with a beautiful scarf will prepare you for any place you need to go.  For men, have a nice pair of pants, shirt, tie, and jacket with you if you plan on eating in a nice restaurant.  Italian men dress well.  For women, bring a simple black dress and heels.  Keep it simple, trendy, classic, and comfortable.  You will be doing a lot of walking but DO NOT WEAR SNEAKERS IF YOU ARE OVER 25!  European kids and teens wear colorful Converse canvas sneakers and some teens in Italy are beginning to wear American style sneakers but do not wear them if you are no longer eligible for a student discount!
Travel purses must look good but  light enough for walking and cross your body for safety.  It must have a zipper.  I will cover safety issues later.

This photo is from the Italian film, I am Love which was shot on location in Milan.  Italians do dress like this except when they are on holiday near the sea.

Clothing Must Nots:
Everyone has heard the stories regarding the "Ugly American" but when one notices what many Americans wear when traveling, I must agree and I am an American/Canadian.  The outfits consist of the following for both men and women:  white sneakers with white socks; ghastly knee-length jean shorts, fanny-pack, knapsack, ball cap, too much jewelry(women), and t-shirts with tacky slogans.  If you dress like this you will not be regarded as fashionable but instead, will be ridiculed and targeted by pickpockets.  Try to fit in not stick out!  When Europeans travel, they do carry knapsacks but they are small and have a very specific look that distinguishes them from North American Vera Bradley bags.

During the summer months, you will see many tank tops (men included) and flip flops worn by American tourists.  But during our trip in the spring of 2010 to Italy, I was beginning to notice Italian kids wearing flip flops; however, if you are a bit older than 25, purchase a nice pair of leather sandals for the summer heat. There are two problems with tank tops:  first, you will not be allowed in the churches and all churches in Italy are a must  to see (this rule also applies in Spain), secondly, men do not look good in tank tops at any age!  For women, if you are wearing a sleeveless top, purchase a lightweight scarf and keep it in your purse.  When you wish to visit a church, throw it over your shoulders and you will be allowed to enter. I also did this when I was in Jerusalem so I was covered each time I visited a sacred place.

 I rest my case!
Well, what sort of shoes should I wear, you ask?  Driving loafers.  My husband and I own a number of pairs and they look good and are comfortable for long distance walking.  We usually walk about 15 miles or more a day when we travel so our shoes must be able to handle it.

Driving Loafers


Eating:
Europeans do not eat while driving or while walking down the street.  They consider this bad form.  North Americans are used to eating on the run but let's face it, our lifestyle has not been good for our waistlines.  Think of the European lifestyle as one you shared with your family when you were young.  My grandparents were European so meal time was sacred.  Time was spent preparing food and we ate together as a family.  This ritual served us well and few of us had weight problems.
Europeans take food very seriously.  So much love and time is spent preparing dishes which are shared with family and friends. They believe that one should stop all activities at meal time which allows one to slow down and enjoy. 
You can purchase food on the street but make sure you sit on a bench and take your time to enjoy it.  The parks and architecture in Europe are so beautiful and this creates a perfect opportunity to relax and observe the life our grandparents shared with us.
Restaurants:  If you ask the concierge for a restaurant suggestion, he/she will send you to a restaurant that caters to tourists.  Now if this is what you want, then take the advice.  We prefer to eat where local residents dine so we can practice speaking the local language and learn the colloquialisms.  Immersing myself in the culture of Italy, France, Spain, Hungary,etc. is my way of really getting to know everything about the people and their customs. 
Another Ugly American story?  "How come I can't get American food anywhere?"  Give me a break!
Hint: Some of the best and cheapest food is found in little out-of-the-way places far from high traffic areas. 
Language:
Come on, folks, don't let me hear you say, "How come nobody speaks English around here?"  Here are some helpful hints for speaking in countries where the language is different from yours:
Berlitz travel books:  I have been using these for years.  I study them and learn enough so I can order a meal, ask directions, order tickets for museums and concerts, ask for reservations at a hotel, shop in a clothing and grocery store.  If you try, people will do their best to accommodate you.
Some of us have a natural aptitude for languages and can learn them quite easily and duplicate the accent rather well.  But if you don't have these skills, don't worry - the local people will be thrilled that you are attempting to speak their language.
IPhone translators: During our last trip to Italy, I purchased a travel plan for my phone which allowed me to access my translator each time I needed it.  This really helped me build my vocabulary.  When I found a phrase on my translator that I knew I would use often, I copied and pasted it into my IPhone notepad for future use.  In the evening, I would re-read my Berlitz book and continue looking for phrases and words in my translator which also, by the way, will speak to you so you can hear the correct pronunciation.
I am much more comfortable with Spanish and Italian and my husband is more familiar with French.  I have a lot of trouble with German and the Slavic languages are difficult for me because the alphabet is different.  This is why a translator or Berlitz book is essential.

Safety Issues:
If you are lost and need to check a map, do not pull it out on the street and look at it.  Step into a store and look at it away from prying eyes.  There are pickpockets in major European cities (in particular - Spain and Italy) so be careful.
If you just carry a wallet, carry it in your front pocket.  Never carry a lot of cash and clean out your wallet of unnecessary cards before leaving home.
As stated above, dress like the locals so you don't stand out.
Don't eat on the street.  It's gauche and it will also single you out as a North American.
Have a cell phone that is a quad phone.  You never know when you may need to contact someone in case of emergency.
Don't walk away from your luggage or purse.  My husband is still the trusting boy from Saskatchewan who after telling him dozens of times about safety issues, will walk away from our luggage which contains money and passports.  Recently, he purchased this great coat I saw advertised in the New York Times that looks terrific and has 50+ interior pockets.  It will even hold an IPad .  Problem solved unless we travel in the summer.  In this case, I carry all of our documents.

Travel safely and travel well!

No comments: